Ispell for DOS and Windows
Ispell is a rather old program and difficult to install. You might want
to try Aspell first.
Users of Win2000 and XP should use Akira Kakuto's
Ispell for DOS, Win95, 98 and ME
This is a distribution of the popular
checker for MSDOS and Windows systems. It is based
upon the work of Piet Tutelaers
which is available at
The main changes are:
- I have split the ispell program and the dictionaries in
separate parts to save download times.
- The original ispell documentation is now in HTML format.
- Each dictionary comes with a small batch file that builds
the neccessary hash file and installs it in the ispell directory.
- I have added some new dictionaries.
Warning: Due to binary incompatibility problems
this will not work on Windowns 2000 and XP.
- ispell.zip (667KB) Piet's 8-Bit version of Ispell for DOS and Windows
- dutch.zip (470KB) Dutch dictionary from 1996
- english.zip (739KB) English dictionary from 1996
- finnish.zip (42KB) Preliminary finnish dictionary from 1999, Martin Vermeer
- french.zip (156KB) French dictionary from 1996
- german.zip (415KB)
New german dictionary from 1999 provided by Holger Sehlke. This is still
the old german spelling. An additional one with the new spelling will follow.
- spanish.zip (414KB) Spanish dictionary from Santiago Rodr'iguez and Jes'us Carretero, 1999.